Friday, March 28, 2008

Must we be us?

Dedicated to all disenfranchised people the world over, and especially to the Hmong people hiding out in the upper mountains of Laos.


Why must we be one?

Why can't we be two?

Why can't we be we?

Why can't we be free?


Why can't I be me?

Why must we be us?

What is the great loss?

If we are not us?


What if I was 'I'?

And I had no 'you'?

Or you, no 'me'?

Would we be free?


Must you have me?

Should you have me?

Do you want me?

Or do you want mine?


I don't want you

You don't want me

I want to be free

I want to be me


I now want my own

I want to own mine

Without you and yours

I'll do just fine


If we were not us,

Then you could be you

And I could be me

And we could be free


We could be free...

We could be we.

3 comments:

The poets voice ~~~ said...

this is a great poem:

"we could be free...
we could be we".

nice one..i'm coming back here.

I am said...

thanks dear, I pray it heals somebody

Today's ranting said...

Wow this is so nice. Very creative.